We strive to ensure that there is a high standard of competition across the region, and to offer players with potential the opportunity to compete at higher levels of competition.
We have an inclusive approach to all players that wish to join, helping identify the opportunities that would best suite their ability level. We have a network of development coaches that will help each player reach their potential.
The Flyers Basketball Club is based at the International School of Aberdeen (ISA). The Flyers Wheelchair Basketball is based at the Beach Leisure Centre.
CONTACT US for free taster session!
Aberdeen’s Sports Award Club of The Year 2018
SBC U16 Men NDL Playoffs 2017-18 Winner
SBC (U16) NDL North Men 2017-18 Winner
U14 Scottish Cup 2018 Winner
U16 Grampian Local League 2014 Winner
LETTER FROM THE NEW HEAD COACH
Under 16 and Under 18 Skills Assessment: 23 April 2019
"Dear Parents and Players,
My name is Simon Munro and I am the new Head Coach at Grampian Flyers Basketball Club. I’m extremely passionate about the game of basketball and started playing when I was 10 years old. I’m a former Senior Men’s Division 1 National League player and now a Level 2 coach.
As many of you will know, Grampian Flyers is one of the top junior basketball clubs in Scotland. We aim to provide an enjoyable, fun and safe environment for all youth players to develop and play the game. Whilst we have teams covering all age groups, our high-performance teams play Division 1 National League basketball at under 16 and under 18 level, and we are currently in the process of choosing our squads for these teams for the 2019/2020 season. The purpose of this letter is to inform all parents and players about the U16 and U18 Skills Assessment evening which Grampian Flyers will be running on Tuesday 23rd April. This assessment will be an integral element of our squad selection process and will be open not only to existing Flyers’ players, but also to players from other clubs who wish to compete at the next level and participate in National competitions. We are very keen to expand the size of our squads and provide high quality development training to all of those who are chosen to participate.
The assessment process will be run by myself and Tim Eskesen, a former pro player, who has 30 years of coaching experience, and has coached to elite level in all age groups. We are particularly lucky to have a coach of Tim’s expertise joining the club to pass on his knowledge to the next generation of basketball players.
The assessment session will last 1.5 hours and will cover fundamental skills as well as involving the players in scrimmages and other game-like situations. We will be looking not only at the existing ability and skill level of players, but also at their athleticism, potential and “coachability”.
Details for the assessment are as follows:
Date: Tuesday 23rd April 2019
Venue: International School, Aberdeen
Time: 8pm to 9.30pm
Eligibility: U16 – Players must not reach their 16th birthday before the end of 2019 U18 – Players must not reach their 18th birthday before the end of 2019
The season itself commences early in September 2019 and finishes in March 2020. In the season just completed, both our U16 and U18 teams reached the play-off stages of Division 1 of the Scottish National League for their respective age groups, before being knocked out in the semi-final of both competitions.
In the coming year we hope to build on this success and are putting in place the infrastructure and coaching staff required to make this happen.
There is a key point that I would like to make up front. Whilst there is a huge amount of enjoyment, excitement and team camaraderie involved in playing National League basketball, it is important for participants and their parents to understand the level of commitment.
- For each team there are typically 10 to 15 away games per season and almost the same number of home games. The number of games depends upon whether or not a team reaches the play-offs, and the level of success achieved in competitions entered. Games are typically played at weekends and players are expected to be available to play in the bulk of the games. Lifts to away games are available for players from coaches and parents who are attending.
- Team training is every Tuesday and Thursday evening during the season, starting at 8pm on a Tuesday and 7.30pm on a Thursday and finishing at 9.30pm on both nights.
- There will be competition for spots on the team. For each approaching match, the team will be chosen after training, during the week just prior to the game. Selection will be dependent upon a number of factors including skill level, teamwork, effort during training, fitness level and attitude.
- Both of the National League teams are performance teams and will have goals relating to this.
Tim and I will look forward to welcoming existing squad members and, hopefully, some new faces at the assessment next week. Please inform anyone who you think would benefit from attending and let them know that they will be very welcome on the night!
Our U10 and U12 sessions allow us to introduce the kids to the rules and teach good ball handling, shooting and layup technique.
Our U14 and U16-B sessions are run as a training academy. Players will work with our development coaches providing a route to playing as part of the performance programme in the National League for those who are able to. With an earlier pathway, we aim to increase our standings in the league.
Our U16-A and U18 teams have been competing in the National League since 2008, and we continue to compete at this level.
Following a four week taster block at the tail end of 2012, the Grampian Flyers Basketball Club created a wheelchair team for the North East of Scotland.
This has now expanded to a total of 4 teams, which compete in the following competitions:
- Scottish Wheelchair Development League
- STEPS League
- Woman League
- Scottish Cup
If you would like more information about our teams, feel free to come along to any of OUR SESSIONS below:
- U10: Tuesdays, 18:30 - 20:00 at ISA.
- U12: Tuesdays, 18:30 - 20:00 at ISA.
- U14: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 18:30 - 20:00 at ISA.
- U16-B: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 18:30 - 20:00 at ISA.
- U16-A: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 20:00 - 21:30 at ISA.
- U18: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 20:00 - 21:30 at ISA.
- Wheelchair (Junior): Mondays, 18:00 - 20:00 at BLC.
- Wheelchair (Senior): Mondays, 19:00 - 20:00 at BLC.
Or click the button below to contact us and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Grampian Flyers Basketball Club - Registered charity No. SC039630